Ashanti Blacktacular Hall took pictures of the PDX Light Brigade,
reminding voters to vote for clean water.
have a son born in July of '07. I do promotions for electronic and
hip-hop music. I've done promotions for a myriad of companies throughout
the Portland Metro Area From GEICO to Animal Planet. I take all sorts
of pictures, do a little graphic design, I host events and spit rhymes,
and I'd like to get into music production. Sooner or later I'll get
around to teaching.
A little bit of something's more than a whole lot of nothin' -Philomel Swango-
Published on Apr 11, 2013
The actual science on fluoridation:
its effect on salmon and the environment, efficacy for dental health,
and safety for human consumption. Please watch before you vote! If this
program is too large, medium resolution is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsK4O...
As you know, hundreds are working to help stop our region from becoming the gateway to massive coal exports to China. I went to the south of China last year and the air was brown and sticky from ubiquitous coal-burning.
Fluoride is released when coal is burnt, and a great number of Chinese children have been diagnosed with skeletal fluorosis and neurological damage, including lowered IQs, from coal-related fluoride over-exposure. (1)(2)
“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” ... “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.” - Phillipe Grandjean, adjunct professor, Harvard School of Public Health, commenting on the fluoride/IQ study.
Shockingly, the number of cases of coal-burning-type skeletal fluorosis has been estimated to be 1.5 million! (1) So fluoride overexposure is a critical concern of the coal campaign.
The CDC confirms that 41% of US adolescents living in fluoridated areas have dental fluorosis, a permanent staining or pitting of tooth enamel, and a first sign of Fluoride OVER-exposure. (3)
In 2000, the EPA Union of Scientists, (representing over 1,500 EPA scientists, engineers and other professionals), sued their own agency, calling for a MORATORIUM on water fluoridation due to numerous scientific studies pointing to serious health and environmental fluoridation consequences. (4)
Further, the EPA lists Fluoride as a "substantially documented developmental neurotoxicant." (5)
Like coal fluoride, water fluoridation has been linked to a number of health problems in studies published by Harvard, the World Health Organization (WHO), the National Academy of Sciences, etc. Some of these problems are liver, cardiovascular and thyroid disorders, as well as diabetes, arthritis, brittle bones, hyperactivity and lowered IQs. (6)
The chemicals used to fluoridate water are Silicofluorides and Hydrofluosilicic acid. The EPA scientists' own description of these chemicals: 91% of Americans ingesting artificially fluoridated water are consuming silicofluorides. This is a class of fluoridation chemicals that includes hydrofluosilicic acid and its salt form, sodium fluorosilicate. These chemicals are collected from the pollution scrubbers of the phosphate fertilizer industry. The scrubber liquors contain contaminants such as arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury, and radioactive particles are legally regulated as toxic waste, and are prohibited from direct dispersal into the environment. Upon being sold (unrefined) to municipalities as fluoridating agents, these same substances are then considered a “product”, allowing them to be dispensed through fluoridated municipal water systems to the very same ecosystems to which they could not be released directly. Sodium fluoride, used in the remaining municipalities, is also an industrial waste product that contains hazardous contaminants. (4)
In 2003, the Sierra Club of Canada’s Chinook chapter called for a moratorium on fluoridation.
"If at low levels fluoride affects aquatic life like rainbow trout, and things are cumulative up the food chain and humans are affected, why are we putting this in our water?" said Jennifer Wright, their spokeswoman.
The 2002 Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines prepared by a federal-provincial committee, states fluoridation of public water supplies causes unnaturally high levels of inorganic fluorides to be released into the soil, air and water. According to the report:
"Inorganic fluorides affect basic physiological and biochemical processes of fish, plants and other aquatic organisms. Inorganic fluorides can slow growth and development, cause abnormal behaviour and lead to death." (7)
Truly, the coal-fluoride issues are linked, and the long term ill effects from coal fluoride and water fluoride are twin environmental and health concerns.
I am appending a short fact fluoridation sheet (below this letter and references) with a primary source bibliography in case you would like to publish this.
Kind regards, Jen Davis Founder, We All Need Bees Coalition Farmers, gardeners,beekeepers, teachers, chefs and eaters Advocating for healthy forage and habitat for our chief pollinators: the bees (Not affiliated with Clean Water Portland) Nativepollinatorsportland@
I am hoping your powerful organization will weigh in on the incipient water fluoridation vote in Portland this upcoming May 21. You can contactcleanwaterportland.orgif you choose to endorse the campaign for a "NO" vote on water fluoridation. Endorsements should be received by March 25. You can also like them on Facebook.
2. In 2000, the EPA Union of Scientists, (representing over 1,500 EPA scientists, engineers and other professionals), sued their own agency, calling for a moratorium on water fluoridation due to numerous scientific studies pointing to serious health and environmental fluoridation consequences. http://www.nteu280.org/Issues/
4. According to the WHO, "fluoride is in virtually all foodstuffs." It is also in over 100 pesticides, (and therefore in residues on conventional food), in unleaded gasoline, (and a significant source of air pollution) a number of medicines, some wood preservatives, coal burning, milk, meats, sodas, wines and a number of juices. (1-7). Even the WHO admits it is impossible to control "fluoride dosage." Thus we have the resulting fluorosis, and in tandem, long-term bio-accumulation of fluoride in bones, teeth, other body cells and as recent science demonstrates, in the pineal gland of the brain. Scientific studies by Harvard, the National Academy of Sciences, the Environmental Working Group, the World Health Organization, the EPA and many others have linked thyroid, liver, kidney, cardiovascular problems, diabetes, arthritis, brittle bones, hyperactivity and even lowered IQs with overexposure to fluoride. (8,9, 9.5)
5. By drinking one 12 oz. glass of water (fluoridated at the rate of 0.7 ppm, the current EPA recommended MCGL) you will have consumed as much fluoride as in a pea-sized dab of fluoridated toothpaste! http://www.cleanwaterportland.
In addition, the EPA states that children, because their organs are still developing, and have greater-skin-to-body-weight ratio, can absorb more contaminants through their skin while bathing than from consumption of toxins in water. Small children often take long baths. According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, "Fluoride...is rapidly absorbed following inhalation, oral and dermal (skin) exposure." (9.6)
6. The chemicals used to fluoridate water are Silicofluorides and Hydrofluosilicic acid. The EPA scientists' own description of these chemicals: 91% of Americans ingesting artificially fluoridated water are consuming silicofluorides. (10)This is a class of fluoridation chemicals that includes hydrofluosilicic acid and its salt form, sodium fluorosilicate. These chemicals are collected from the pollution scrubbers of the phosphate fertilizer industry. The scrubber liquors contain contaminants such as arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury, and radioactive particles (11) are legally regulated as toxic waste, and are prohibited from direct dispersal into the environment. Upon being sold (unrefined) to municipalities as fluoridating agents, these same substances are then considered a “product”, allowing them to be dispensed through fluoridated municipal water systems to the very same ecosystems to which they could not be released directly. Sodium fluoride, used in the remaining municipalities, is also an industrial waste product that contains hazardous contaminants.
7. Infants ingesting formula prepared with fluoridated water will receive 50-100 times more fluoride than a breast-fed infant. A baby's immature renal development causes them to absorb more of these chemicals, up to 90%, in their bones, teeth, cells and brains. Dr. Phillipe Grandjean, of Harvard school of Public Health, suggests that fluoride may be as neurotoxic as mercury or lead. (12,13,14)
8. The tiny fluorine ion is too small to be captured by municipal sanitation filters. The average US citizen uses 90 gallons of water per day. Only a small fraction of this water is ingested: the rest will be flushed down the toilets, used for washing clothes, dishes, cars, etc, bathing and watering lawns and gardens. So the fluoridation chemicals which are not accumulated in our bodies, soils, plants and wildlife will be flushed into our rivers and oceans, and the bodies of aquatic life. Bees and salmon, among other wildlife, are very sensitive to fluoride. (15-18)
9. Kentucky has fluoridated more of its water than nearly every other state, yet ranks number one in toothlessness from decay and is high in baby-bottle dental caries. And only 8 countries in the world significantly fluoridate their water, but dental health is the same or better in countries without fluoridation. (19,20)
10. "Amidst these negative findings, the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, the American Academy of Diabetes, the American Cancer Society, the American Diabetes Association, the American Nurses Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the National Kidney Foundation, and the Society of Toxicology have discounted fluoride as a beneficial additive and no longer support its use (Kauffman, 2005). Additionally there is an ethical argument surrounding city officials adding fluoride to drinking water supplies." http://toxipedia.org/display/
(1-7) “Virtually all foodstuffs contain at least trace amounts of fluoride..” http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
free-petrol/ F pollution:The total amounts of hydrogen fluoride released to air, surface water, under- ground injection and land in the USA during 1999 were 33 000, 7.7, 1800 and 64 tonnes, respectively. Total amounts of fluorine released to air, surface water and land were 39, 24 and 500 tonnes, respectively (US EPA, 1999). (10)The number of cases of coal- burning-type skeletal fluorosis has been estimated t o be 1.5 million (Hou, 1997; Liang et al., 1997). http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
WHO_EHC_227.pdf (8,9)“There are few data from which to estimate total exposure to and the bioavailability of fluoride, and there are inconsistencies in reports on the characterization of its adverse effects.” http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
Fluoride_dose_response.pdf “Individuals with impaired renal function, such as those with diabetes, may be more prone to developing fluoride-related toxicological effect due to their diminished excretion of fluoride ” (Kaminsky et al., 1990; US DHHS, 1991) http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
pesticides/sodium.f.pineal.htm Luke J (1997). The effect of fluoride on the physiology of the pineal gland. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Surrey, Guildord, UK Luke J (2001). Fluoride deposition in the aged human pineal gland. Caries Res. 35:125-128. Schlesinger ER, Overton DE, Chase HC, Cantwell KT (1956). Newburgh-Kingston caries-fluorine study X111. Pediatric findings after ten years. J Amer Dent Assoc 52: 296-306. Fluoride is present in body organs, tissues and fluids. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
issues/health/ “[Skeletal fluorosis] affects the joints as well as the bones. It is not easily recognizable till advanced stage. In its early stages, its symptoms may resemble those of arthritis.” : Ayoob S, Gupta AK. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Review on the Status and Stress Effects. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 36:433–487. ..."our results suggest that drinking water fluoride levels over 2.0 mg/L (ppm) can cause damage to liver and kidney function in children…” Xiong X, Liu J, He W, Xia T, He P, Chen X, Yang K, Wang A. (2006). Dose-effect relationship between drinking water fluoride levels and damage to liver and kidney functions in children. Environmental Research Jul 8; [Epub ahead of print] Hypertension can increase the risk of stroke, heart attack, heart failure, aortic aneurysms, and peripheral arterial disease. An association between increased fluoride in ground water and increased prevalence of hypertension has been observed, especially among adult males (Amini et al., 2011). (9.6) Dermal Exposure Assessment: Principles and Applications, EPA/600/8-9-91, U.S. EPA, Washington, DC; 1991. http://www.epa.gov/ncea/efh/
pdfs/efh-chapter07.pdf fluoridation health consequences: http://www.nteu280.org/Issues/
Fluoride/NTEU280-Fluoride.htm (10)CDC (1993). Fluoridation Census 1992. (11)National Sanitation Foundation International. (2000) Letter from Stan Hazan, General Manager, NSF Drinking Water Additives Certification Program, to Ken Calvert, Chairman, Subcommittee on Energy and the Environment, Committee on Science, US House of Representatives. July 7.http://www.keepersofthewell.
pdf (12)"Infants fed formula receive 50–100 times more fluoride than exclusively breast-fed infants." http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
WHO_EHC_227.pdf (13)Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) (2003). Toxicological profile for fluorides, hydrogen fluoride, and fluorine. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service F retention rates:(10)Fluoride crosses the placenta and is transferred from mother to fetus. Fluoride is eliminated from the body primarily in the urine. In infants, about 80–90% of a fluoride dose is retained; in adults, the corresponding figure is A approximately 60%. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
WHO_EHC_227.pdf Ekstrand J, et al. (1984). Fluoride Balance Studies on Infants in a 1- ppm-Water-Fluoride Area. Caries Res. 18:87-92. (14) “Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.” http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/
fluoride-childrens- health-grandjean-choi.html (15-18) – Damkaer DM, and Dey DB 1989. Evidence for fluoride effects on salmon passage at John Day Dam, Columbia River, 1982-1986. N. Am. J. Fish. Manage.9:154-162. – Davison A. and Weinstein L. The effects of fluorides on plants. (1998) Fluorides and the Environment. Earth Island Institute.www.earthisland.org. Canadian Environmental Quality Guidelines,http://www.ec.gc.ca/ceqg-rcqe/
English/Html/GAAG_Fluoride.cfm Personal communication with Dave Paris, Manchester Water Works, NH. (January 2001) Calculation based on estimated two-liters/ person/day used for drinking and cooking. (17)http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ehc/
WHO_EHC_227.pdf (19)http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rd (20)fluoridealert.org
Fluoride: Protected Pollutant or Panacea?
Are the claimed benefits of ingesting fluoride over-rated and the risks to our health and eco-system under-reported?
Dental fluorosis is recognized by scientists world-wide as the first
clinical sign of fluoride poisoning. The Sky-rocketing increase in
dental fluorosis rates in fluoridated communities clearly indicates that
Fluoride ingestion is out of control. The health problems caused by
fluoride in other countries is well-documented and staggering.
Listen to this 3/27/13 lecture to the KU Chem Club by Professor of Chemistry Emeritus Dr. Albert Burgstahler, Ph.d., who since his 1998 retirement from Kansas University, was elected and continues to be editor of the quarterly scientific journal FLUORIDE founded in 1968 by the International Society for Fluoride Research.